Best of both worlds: The St. John Hospital Birthing Center
Congratulations on your pregnancy! With your decision to bring a new life into the world comes many more choices.
- Where will you give birth?
- How do you decide on a physician and hospital?
- What do you want your birth experience to be like?
You can have the best of both worlds at St. John Hospital and Medical Center, including the birth plan you want (including holistic options), and the support from specialists should you need it.
We offer clinical excellence in birthing services, with a strong focus on safety for you and your baby. Our experienced, board-certified OB/GYN, Pediatric, and Neonatal physicians, high-risk pregnancy specialists, certified nurse midwives, full-service neonatal intensive care unit, 24-hour anesthesia team, and nurses are passionate about caring for women and their babies.
But the birth experience is about so much more. We want this special time to be memorable for you and your family, so we've worked on ways to even more fully integrate our mission of providing care that ministers to your mind, body, and spirit.
- Average number of births per month: 300
- Number of Birthing Suites: 31, plus 20 post-partum and 17 high-risk rooms
- Number of Obstetricians and Family Physicians on staff: 82
- High-risk OB services? Yes. Four Perinatalogists on staff and comprehensive testing at the on-site perinatal center.
- Special Care Nursery? Yes. 14-bed unit for infants who need extra care, but not to the acuity provided in the NICU.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit? Yes. Level III NICU on-site. 6 Neonatologists on staff. Our NICU was the first in Michigan (opened in 1970), now offering more than 40 years NICU experience.
- 24-hour anesthesia? Yes
- Childbirth education? Childbirth classes
- Sleepover option for father/support person? Yes
- Facilities: All rooms are private at no extra charge
- Visiting Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or at mom’s discretion. Dads can visit anytime; children may visit at your convenience. One significant other over the age of 18 may stay with mom overnight.
- Lactation consultant on staff? We offer breastfeeding support services with a lactation consultant on staff, the St. John Outpatient Breastfeeding Clinic (the only physician-led breastfeeding clinic in Michigan), and the Nurturing Nook (retail breastfeeding boutique).
- Midwives? We have three Certified Nurse Midwives on staff.
Family-Centered Maternity Care
With a wide range of expert medical services provided in a beautiful setting, the Birthing Center at St John Hospital and Medical Center is the place where new parents and their babies both get off to a healthy start. All new moms and babies enjoy a comfortable, supportive environment where all registered nurses are completely cross-trained to provide antenatal, labor and postpartum care.