St. John Providence Health System to partner with Henry Ford Transplant Institute
St. John Providence Health System
Monday, February 06, 2012
Contact: Brian Taylor, 586-753-0726.
In February, the Henry Ford Transplant Institute opened a second Advanced Heart Failure Clinic within St. John Providence Health System. The new clinic is in Detroit, at St. John Hospital, and follows an already successful clinic at Providence Hospital.
The Advanced Heart Failure Clinic provides care to patients who:
- Are being considered for heart transplant or left ventricular assist device (LVAD)
- Have failed to respond to conventional medical therapies
- Exhibit refractory heart failure symptoms including requiring IV inotropic therapy
- May benefit from early assessment by the heart failure team to optimize medical therapy
The new St. John Hospital location, as well as the Providence Hospital location, provides all services for these patients, except for the heart transplant surgery or LVAD (left ventricular assist device) care, which is performed at Henry Ford Hospital.
“We are pleased to partner with St. John Providence Health System on two clinics, both of which will provide an exceptional level of support and coordinated care before, during and following transplantation,” said Marwan Abouljoud, M.D., director of the Henry Ford Transplant Institute.
The Advanced Heart Failure Clinics operate under the direction of the Henry Ford physicians Celeste Williams, M.D. and David Lanfear, M.D.
- The Advanced Heart Failure Clinic at Providence Hospital is operated by Dr. Celeste Williams, Medical Director, Advanced Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplant Program, Henry Ford Transplant Institute. Dr. Williams is a graduate of Chicago Medical School/Rosalind Franklin University, completed her residency at Loyola University Medical Center in Chicago and a fellowship at Cleveland Clinic hospitals and Henry Ford Hospital. She is board-certified in both internal medicine and cardiovascular disease.
- The Advanced Heart Failure Clinic at St. John Hospital is under the direction Dr. David Lanfear, Senior Staff Cardiologist, Cardiac Transplant Program, Henry Ford Heart & Vascular Institute. Dr. Lanfear is a graduate of the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor and completed his residency and fellowship at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. He is board-certified in both cardiovascular disease, and advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology.
Henry Ford Transplant Institute provides transplantation of the liver, kidney, pancreas, intestine, lung, heart, and bone marrow stem cell. The Institute is the most comprehensive multi-organ transplant program in Michigan, with aggressive strategies to increase transplant off the wait list while maintaining superior patient outcomes.
St. John Providence Health System is one of the largest providers of inpatient care in southeast Michigan and one of the largest employers in metro Detroit. St. John Providence Health System provides comprehensive prevention, primary care and advanced treatment programs with more than 125 medical centers and five hospitals spanning five counties.
To schedule an appointment, please call 866-501-DOCS.