St. John River District Hospital Birthing Center
Birthing Center: 810-329-5370
General Information: 810-329-7111
Clinical Nurse Manager: Vicky Shier, R.N.
- Facilities: private Labor Delivery Recovery Postpartum (LDRP) birthing suites
- Number of LDRP Birthing suites: 8
- Average births per month: 35
- Sleepover option for father/support person: yes
- Visiting Hours: 11 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Dads can visit anytime, children may visit at your convenience.
- Number of Obstetricians and Family Physicians on staff: 8 ( 4 obstetricians, 4 family physicians)
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: no. Patients are transferred to St. John Hospital and Medical Center.
- Postpartum call back program: yes
- Childbirth education: yes
- Lactation consultant on staff: yes
- Privileges for midwives: no
- Tours available: yes. As part of prenatal ed. class or by calling (810) 326-2012.
- High-risk OB services: no. Patients are transferred to St. John Hospital and Medical Center
- Newborn hearing screening: all babies are screened for hearing loss
- 24-hour in-house anesthesia: no
So you’re going to have a baby. The doctors at St. John River District Hospital Women’s Healthcare and the physicians at the Downriver Medical Center are the only doctors in St. Clair County with delivery privileges at the St. John River District Hospital Maternal/Child Health Care Unit, which offered the very first Labor/Delivery/Recovery/Postpartum (LDRP) rooms in the county.
The Maternal/Child Health Unit at St. John River District Hospital was truly designed with Mom and baby in mind. At St. John River District Hospital, moms have the privacy they want during those first hours with baby. And, should you want family and friends to share in this exciting event, you’ll find that there is plenty of room for all of them in our LDRP rooms, too.
The comfortable, elegant décor will make you feel right at home. But, don’t let the beautiful surroundings fool you. Though out of sight, state-of-the-art medical equipment is always close at hand.
And, in addition to privacy, an LDRP room means that you will experience the entire birthing process in the same room so that you and the baby won’t be inconvenienced by moving from room to room.
Special care for special needs…
Despite the best prenatal care, complications sometimes arise. When you deliver your baby at St. John River District Hospital, a member of the St. John Providence Health System, you will have the benefit of our affiliation with St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit, which offers the nearest Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
In addition, St. John has perinatologists on staff, who specialize in treating patients with high-risk pregnancies. So, should the unexpected occur before or during your delivery, the physicians and nurse at St. John River District Hospital will coordinate yours and baby’s care with the specially trained staff at St. John to ensure that you and baby get the advanced care you need.
Just in case the unexpected occurs…
St. John Hospital and Medical Center is the advanced care hub of St. John Providence Health System and the regional center for Neonatology (the medical care and treatment of ill and premature infants) for a variety of eastside hospitals, including St. John River District Hospital.
Birthing Center Tours
Tours of the Maternal/Child Health Care Unit at St. John River District Hospital are available for expectant moms. For more information or to schedule a tour, call (810) 326-2012.
Expectant mothers can sign out a pager two weeks before their due-date so that their birthing coach can be notified as soon as the expected bundle of joy is ready to arrive. For more information, call (810) 329-5325.