Van Elslander Cancer Center Patient & Visitor Information
The Van Elslander Cancer Center is a three-story, 69,000-square-foot facility located on the campus of St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit.
From I-94, take Moross Road exit 224A
- Go east on Moross about 3/4 of a mile
- St. John Hospital and Medical Center is on the left
- Pass the hospital and proceed to Mack Avenue
- Turn left or north on Mack Avenue
- Turn left at the first island and cross Mack to enter the St. John Hospital campus
- The Cancer Center is almost immediately on your right
The Van Elslander Cancer Center offers several convenient parking options.
- Free valet parking is available from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the entrance of Van Elslander Cancer Center. One car only, please.
- Paid parking is available in the East Deck across from the Center and in the North Lot just beyond the Center.
- Complimentary shuttle service is provided 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. The shuttle service will pick you up at your car and take you to your destination on the St. John Hospital Main Campus. Shuttle service can also be requested by any of the parking attendants. Escorts from the building to your vehicle can also be provided by calling (313) 343-3860 24 hours a day.
Van Elslander Cancer Center
19229 Mack Avenue Grosse Pointe Woods, MI 48236
(313) 647-3000 or toll free, 1-866-246-HOPE (4673)
Dining and Restaurants
Due to certain dietary restrictions, please refrain from bringing food to patients without prior medical approval.
Dining available on-campus
- The Courtyard: lower level of Professional Building One, St. John Hospital and Medical Center.
Hours: 6:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Hot foods served 6:30 – 10:30 a.m. and 11a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Courtyard To-Go: Van Elslander Cancer Center Lobby
Hours: 11:50 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Serving sandwiches, soup, salad, and snacks.
- Garden Cafeteria: ground floor of the hospital.
Hours: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. and 1 to 4 a.m. daily.
- Coffee Bar: in the Garden Cafeteria.
Hours: 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Vending machines: Garden Cafeteria and Emergency Center Waiting Room on the ground floor. Visitors are asked not to carry food or beverages out of these areas.
(not affiliated or endorsed through St. John Hospital and Medical Center or the Van Elslander Cancer Center)
Two automatic teller machines (ATMs) are located on the St. John Hospital and Medical Center campus. One is located in the Garden Cafeteria. A second ATM is located in the lobby of Professional Building One.
Stamps are available for purchase in the following locations:
- The alcove across from the Concentrated Care Building (CCB) lobby elevators houses a stamp machine.
- The Nook, a mini-gift shop on the ground floor of Professional Building One, also has a stamp machine.
- The Grosse Pointe Branch of the US Postal Service is located less than one mile south of St. John Hospital and Medical Center at 18640 Mack Avenue.
- Public telephones are in the hospital's lobbies and near elevators on patient floors. All public and patient telephones have volume control devices.
- Portable Telephone Typewriters (TTYs) are available by dialing the hospital TTY operator by calling (313) 343-3126. There are several public telephones throughout the hospital that have TTYs.
- Le Fontbonne Shoppe: Located in the James T. Farley Concentrated Care Building lobby (in St. John Hospital and Medical Center). Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday; noon to 5:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. (313) 343-4747.
- The Nook: Located on the ground floor of Professional Building One (in St. John Hospital and Medical Center). Offers magazines, candy and some small gifts. Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays. (313) 343-3724.
- The Healing Arts Center giftshop is located on the 3rd floor of the cancer center. Stop in and browse around at all the unique gift items.