From healthy heart classes to specialty clinics, we offer a multitude of resources designed to help cardiac patients lead healthy, happy lives.
Classes & Screenings
- Smoking cessation. To find information and counselors that can help you kick the smoking habit, please visit the American Cancer Society or the National Cancer Institute.
- Free blood pressure screenings
- Lectures, CPR classes, health fairs and more
At-Home Monitoring System
A unique, convenient program from St. John Home Care that allows congestive heart failure patients to monitor and transmit health information from their home to a program coordinator, who tracks and analyzes the data and can contact the patient's doctor, if necessary.
Cardiac Support Groups
- Heart-to-Heart Cardiac Support Group: Open to all patients who have had surgery, procedures or problems involving the heart.
- Stroke Support Group: Designed to provide an informal yet structured atmosphere for stoke survivors/caregivers, family and friends to share with others their experience and provide emotional and educational support.
- ICD Support Group: Provides an informal educational experience for patients, families and friends. Providence Hospital.
- Pacemaker Clinic: A full-service follow-up clinic with the ability to serve patients with a state-of-the-art computerized database and multiple programmers to check all types of pacemakers
- Second Chance Heart Club: A special group of men and women who may have been given a “second chance,” the Second Chance Heart Club provides an opportunity for people to meet, share their stories and learn new trends in the diagnosis and treatment of heart (cardiovascular) disease.
Weight Loss Program
St. John Providence Weight Loss (SJPWL) at St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Oakland Center in Madison Heights, is recognized as a Bariatric Center of Excellence (COE) by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
This means our bariatric surgery program meets the highest standards for quality and outcomes and produces the lowest complication rates. In December 2008, the program was named a Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery by Blue Cross Blue Shield, a designation that further reflects the high quality of the SJPWL program. SJPWL at St. John Hospital and Medical Center in Detroit has been granted provisional status for accreditation by the American College of Surgeons Bariatric Surgery Center Network.
Our surgical weight loss options include the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Band, Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and Biliopancreatic Diversion and more. Most of our surgical procedures can be performed laparoscopically, resulting in smaller incisions/scars, reduced pain, shorter recovery time and reduced risk of infection. We also offer support programs before and after surgery to help ensure success.
SJPWL also offers a renowned, non-surgical weight loss program for adults and teens. Our medical program offers a range of options to help participants adopt healthy habits for the rest of their lives with a focus on moderate food intake, lifestyle modification, activity, and overcoming the barriers to attaining a healthy weight. Participants and their families also learn strategies to build self-esteem and develop greater emotional and physical health.