Medical Student Electives - Anesthesiology
Rotation Director: Alex Gross, M.D.
Duration: Two to four weeks
Maximum number of student per four-week period: One
Candidates: Senior students of approved allopathic and osteopathic medical schools
Evaluation: Oral and written
- The student will report to the anesthesiologist and continue with the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist during a normal working day.
- Students will be expected to see new patients, conduct consultations and follow patients under the direction of the attending anesthesiology staff.
- Simple endotracheal intubation
- Placement of arterial lines, central lines, spinals, epidurals and other critical processes during the anesthesia rotation
- Intubation of the difficult airway
- Fluid and electrolyte management--preoperative, operative, and post operative
- Anesthetic involvement with the management of the patients with specific types of surgery such as heart surgery, thoracic surgery, pediatric surgery, caesarean section, neurosurgery, ENT surgery, and craniofacial surgery