What is Cardiac Rehabilitation?
St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital Macomb Center’s Cardiac Rehabilitation program is a structured program incorporating education, exercise and emotional support specifically designed for the heart patient. Supervised and monitored exercise sessions meet three times per week for approximately eight weeks. Equipment includes: treadmills, stationary bikes, rowers, arm cranks and stair steppers. The length of your program depends on your diagnosis and progress.
Educational information is provided through individual consultations, group lectures, videos and audiocassette tapes and handouts.
Family members are strongly encouraged to attend all appropriate classes.
Our program is under the medical direction of a cardiologist. Classes are conducted by Certified Exercise Physiologists.
How can Cardiac Rehabilitation Help Me?
Most patients return to their usual activities within a few months after a heart attack or surgery. Cardiac Rehabilitation monitors and improves the recovery, increases fitness and reduces the risk for new events.
These goals are accomplished by covering such topics as:
- Recognizing heart disease signs and symptoms, and when to seek medical help
- Recovering from heart disease
- Beginning a personalized exercise program that is effective, safe and appropriate for your health, age and physical ability
- Lowering your cholesterol through good nutrition and physical activities
- Understanding your cardiac medications
- Determining your ideal body weight and daily caloric intake
- Smoking cessation
- Stress management
- Reducing the potential of a new heart attack through risk factor modification
- Start a home exercise program
Coverage by insurance companies varies. Coverage will be discussed with you when you make an appointment.
How to Enroll
Physical referral is required prior to program enrollment.
For more information or to register, call St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital, Macomb Center, Cardiac Rehabilitation at 586-573-5233 or contact St. John Providence Health Connect at 1-866-501-3627.