Frequently Asked Questions
What are the symptoms of children’s grief?
- poor to sleep
- loss of appetite
- isolation and loss of interest in daily activities and events
- poor school performance
- thoughts of suicide
What are the Benefits of Grief Support Groups?
Short-term benefits include:
- Increase in the number of youth who feel free to talk about their feelings of loss with peers and caregivers
- Improved family relationships, improved appearance, self-esteem
- Increase in youth’s knowledge of personal strengths and positive conflict resolution methods
- Decrease in number of violent episodes involving children with grief issues
Long -term evaluation will document benefits of:
- Increased positive attitudes and behaviors
- Reduced suicidal tendencies, depression, and levels of anger and anxiety
- Better academic performance
How much do Open Arms grief support cost?Open Arms grief support services are free for participants, therefore we count on your donations to ensure that our support groups and other programs are available to grieving children throughout Metropolitan Detroit. Open Arms is a program within St. John Community Health Investment Corporation, which is a 501(c)(3) organization, so your financial support is completely tax-deductible.