Graduate Medical Education & Residency Programs
St. John Hospital and Medical Center is an 776-bed, Level II trauma center, with a 10-bed surgical intensive care unit; a 10-bed medical intensive care unit; and a 10-bed coronary care unit. The Department of Pediatrics has a Level III 40-bed neonatal intensive care unit (one of the first Neonatal ICUs established in Michigan), and a six-bed pediatric intensive care unit. The OB/GYN department serves as the major perinatology resource for our service area. St. John also features a 30-bed cardiac surgery step-down unit, cardiac catheterization laboratories, nuclear cardiology and a complete non-invasive cardiology laboratory.
There's so much happening at St. John Hospital and Medical Center, it takes a bird's-eye view to take it all in! Click on the text in the image below to learn more.
- Added a glorious new main entrance
- Begun offering free parking, with valet available for a small fee
- Added 144 new private patient rooms
- Added a state-of-the-art St. John Guild Emergency Center
- Added the W.Warren Shelden Heart and Circulatory Center featuring cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, vascular surgery, non-invasive cardiology and diagnostic imaging, including 64-slice CT scanners and X-ray
- Added a lab with private drawing stations and pediatric area
St. John offers complete diagnostic facilities, including electron microscopy (Department of Pathology), CT scanning, linear accelerator radiotherapy, magnetic resonance imaging (Department of Radiology), and a full range of services in the Department of Nuclear Medicine.
St. John serves a diverse patient population encompassing both urban and suburban residents, thereby providing residents with a well-rounded educational experience.
St. John Hospital and Medical Center is located on the east side of Detroit on the border of Grosse Pointe, one of southeastern Michigan’s most appealing areas. This setting offers residents a unique blend of urban and suburban experiences.
- About Us
- Videos of Our Students
- Application Process
- Benefits and Stipends
- General Information for Residents
- List of Programs
- Living in Detroit Resources
- New Resident Orientation
- Medical Student Information