Healing Arts Center at River District Hospital
Beneath the trials of a lifetime, just behind the stresses of daily living, lies a soul not shadowed by anxiety or obligation. A free spirit. Yours.
The St. John River District Healing Arts Center helps you welcome this sweet calm. Simply. Without pretense or fuss. Here, centuries-old health practices, such as massage, reflexology, acupuncture, aromatherapy and yoga are offered to render your spirit renewed, your mind relaxed and your body healthier for the care you’ve shown it.
Yes, it’s true.
You’ll also find the St. John River District Healing Arts Center is a treasure of some of the finest complementary medicine practictioners. Amazing people who specialize in well-being for the mind, body and spirit.
Services and Offerings
The Healing Arts Center at St. John River District Hospital provides therapeutic massage and other holistic therapies,as well as health and exercise classes, to our St. Clair County community. Stop and visit our Gift Shop, which offers a unique selection of jewelry, gifts, personal and spiritual items ...perfect for giving (or keeping). Gift certificates can be purchased for our services as well as for merchandise. We are located just off the main lobby of St. John River District Hospital.
Individual treatment sessions are scheduled by appointment and are generally available on weekdays, with some availability for evening and Saturday appointments.
Complementary massage services are also available to River District inpatients, based on physician/RN recommendation. Please call the Healing Arts Center to discuss this service.
All of our therapists and instructors are certified and have specializations in one or more areas of therapeutic focus. Currently we offer the following individual services:
- Therapeutic Massage - Hands-on techniques, from kneading and compression to tapping and vibration for the muscular structure and soft tissues of the body. Massage promotes relaxation, relief from pain and increased soft tissue mobility.
- Deep Tissue Massage - Deep tissue massage is specific massage manipulation of the deeper tissue structures of the muscle and fascia, also called connective tissue. Deep tissue manipulation therapy uses many of the same movements and techniques as Swedish massage, but the pressure is more intense. It is also a more focused type of massage, as the deep tissue massage therapist works to release chronic muscle tension or knots (also known as "adhesions.")
- Hot Stone Massage - Using warmed Lake Superior stones, the therapist performs your massage. The penetrating heat of the stones begins to soothe the nervous system and melt the effects of stress. Muscle tension eases under the smooth pressure of the stones, allowing circulation to increase. Irritating toxins are flushed away and healing nutrients flow into the muscles, aiding in the release of pain.
- Pregnancy Massage - A massage technique specifically designed for pregnant women to help relieve common pregnancy discomforts and promote mother and baby's wellbeing. Pregnancy massage is very gentle and effective and has many benefits for the mother, such as increasing energy, easing aches and pains, slowing the process of varicose veins, reducing fluid retention and releasing stress.
- Oncology Massage - Massage Therapy can offer a unique way to relax and restore your healing resources if you are experiencing the challenges of a cancer diagnosis. Massage can complement Medical Treatment and support recovery by easing pain, reducing stress and providing emotional reassurance.
- Myoskeletal Alignment Technique - Myoskeletal alignment technique (MAT) is a type of bodywork which blends the principles of Osteopathy and structural Integration to relieve chronic pain and to reduce the potential for the emergence of pain which could become chronic over time. This technique is often integrated into regular massage and bodywork sessions, and it can also be used alone to treat systemic problems.
- Lymphatic Massage - Manual Lymphatic Drainage is a form of massage that stimulates the lymphatic system with gentle massaging strokes. The light rhythmical massage encourages the lymphatic system to eliminate metabolic waste products, excess fluid and bacteria.
- Reflexology - Years of experience by reflexologists and recipients alike suggest that when pressure is applied to the feet, predictable positive changes occur in specific areas elsewhere in the body. Deeply relaxing & beneficial.
- Accupressure Massage - Acupressure is a form of touch therapy that utilizes the principles of acupuncture and Chinese medicine. In acupressure, the same points on the body are used as in acupuncture, but are stimulated with finger pressure instead of with the insertion of needles. Acupressure is used to relieve a variety of symptoms and pain.
- Reiki - Reiki therapy is the process of healing using the power of energy. It is very different from conventional healing therapies. Because in a Reiki therapy, there are no medicines or tools needed to heal diseases. All a practitioner has to do is to direct energy towards the body through the hands and the power of meditation.
- Shiatsu - A Japanese bodywork therapy that uses pressure on the surface of the skin along energy channels called meridians to regain and maintain a harmonic flow of energy throughout the body-mind-spirit. Used to promote balance. Relaxing & invigorating.
- Acupuncture - A method of encouraging the body to promote natural healing that involves the use of needles and electrical stimulation on meridian lines and certain points throughout the body. This service is performed by a physician.
- Myofascial Release - Our fascia covers every muscle, bone, organ and vessel in our bodies. Through stress, age, injury or misuse, the fascia can become restricted and painful. With gentle, precise and deliberate movements, this tissue can become free and fluid giving long-lasting and profound healing effects. Get released!
- Kinesio Taping® - Kinesio Taping® is used to balance muscles and bring them up to functional level. Therapy tape is applied to the muscles to create space, movement and circulation.
- Chair Massage - It’s amazing what just a few minutes on a massage chair can do to turn your day around. A quick fix for your stressful day.
We welcome the chance to help you live a healthier life. Please call (810) 326-4700 for more information, or to make an appointment.