Diabetes Education and Care
- St. John River District Hospital: East China Main Page
- Diabetes Education & Care at St. John River District Hospital: East China Listing
Diabetes Discovery: A Self- Management Education Program
The St. John Providence Diabetes Self-Management Program offers diabetes education by Certified Diabetes Educators. We will work closely with your physician to tailor you diet, medication and blood glucose monitoring to fit your individual needs. A summary of your progress will be sent to your physician upon completion of the program.
- Individual assessment with a registered nurse to determine your learning needs and preliminary lab work to determine how well your diabetes is controlled.
- Comprehensive group classes designed to help you control and manage your diabetes more effectively. This includes: a blood sugar meter, a diabetes book and three month follow up on your progress.
- Individual consultation with a dietitian to plan your meals upon completion of group class. Meter clinics to assist you in using your blood glucose meter allowing you to make the most of your monitoring.
- Gestational diabetes clinics that instructs mothers-to-be on how to manage diabetes during pregnancy.
- Free support group for people with diabetes, and the important people in their lives.
- Exercise program geared for people with diabetes.
Outpatient Group Class Topics
- What is Diabetes
- Coping with Diabetes
- How food affects your blood sugar
- Label reading/eating out
- Changing recipes for healthier eating
- Blood glucose (sugar) testing
- Medication Management of high and low blood sugar
- Exercise, foot care, and prevention of complications
- Current updates in diabetes care
This program is certified by the American Diabetes Association and the Michigan Department of Community Health. Certification allows for reimbursement from Medicare, Medicaid and many commercial/private insurances. A physician's prescription is required for program attendance and insurance coverage.