EVERYONE IS WELCOME REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU RECEIVE TREATMENT.
Van Elslander Breast Cancer Support Group
This group is for any woman currently diagnosed with breast cancer. Focus is on issues related to treatment and recovery, both physical and emotional. Sponsored by Candlelighters Foundation.
- Sponsored By: St. John Hospital & Medical Center: Detroit
- Location: Van Elslander Cancer Center (Main Lobby)
- Additional Info: Meets the first Wednesday of every month from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. For more information, please call 313-647-3000.
- Fee: Free
Advanced Cancer Group
The Advanced Cancer Group is for any cancer patient with a stage III or IV diagnosis. The focus is on peer support.
To register, contact Jenny Bailey at 248-465-5466.
- Location: Van Elslander Cancer Center
CANcer Support Group
For patients in treatment, caregivers, and significant others.
- Date: Meets 2nd Wednesday of every month
- Time: 5:30-7:00 PM
- Fee: Donation appreciated
Grief Recovery Programs
Ten-week sessions are offered throughout the year. Please call 313-647-3000 for registration and fee information.
- Date: Thursdays
- Time: 6-8 PM
Women's Wellness Support Group
Novi Support Group Meeting
- Date: 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month
- Time: 12-1:30pm
- Location: Assarian Cancer Center, 2nd Floor Conference Room
Please call Jenny Bailey to register 248-465-5466.
Southfield Support Group Meeting
- When: 1st and 3rd Friday of each month
- Where: Southfield Cancer Center Conference Room
- Time: Noon- 1:30pm
Young Survival Coalition Local Meeting
Young Survival Coalition is an international nonprofit network of breast cancer survivors and supporters dedicated to the concerns and issues of young women dealing with breast cancer. Young Survival Coalition strives to focus on the issues of young women diagnosed with breast cancer such as ramifications of early menopause, fertility, etc. For more information on the meetings at Van Elslander, contact Michelle Tubbs at email@example.com or call 248-592-9664. For more information about Young Survival Coalition please visit www.youngsurvival.org.
The local southeast Michigan Chapter meets the second Tuesday of every month at 7pm on the third floor of the Van Elslander Cancer Center.
FORCE: Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered
Force is a non-profit organization designed for women at risk for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer (genetic mutations that increase breast cancer risk). They have a local Southeast Michigan Support group specific to hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. Call Ellyn Davidson, local outreach coordinator for more information about local meeting times and locations. Ellyn Cell: 248-854-2318
The FORCE website is full of excellent educational information including books, DVD's, and stories of women with hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome. www.facingourrisk.org
Look Good Feel Better
Look Good Feel Better is a program sponsored by the American Cancer Society that provides information and cosmetic advice for the woman battling cancer. This training provides hands on instruction on makeup, skin care, and suggestions for using wigs, turbans, and scarves. It also includes tips on nailcare while undergoing treatment. Cosmetics are provided for your personal makeover. This program is free of charge and facilitated by cosmetologists- all certified professionals. Registration is required- call to register.
- Southfield contact: Jennifer Gillette at 248-849-3243
- Macomb Webber Cancer Center: Kim Mercier at 586-573-5787
- Novi contact: Jenny Bailey at 248-849-5466
- Van Elslander Contact: 313-647-3000
St. John Rehabilitation is now providing a free lymphedema program! Learn how to increase your mobility and strength as well as prevent lymphedema. The Lymphedema Program is offered on the first Monday of every month as a free service in the Van Elslander Cancer Center. A licensed Physical Therapist from St. John Health System will meet with each patient individually. For information and to make appointments please call Jeannine Mercurio at 313-647-3301.
Gilda’s Club of Metro Detroit A free non-residential cancer support community in Royal Oak, named in honor of Gilda Radner. 3517 Rochester Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, 248-557-0800 or www.gildasclubdetroit.org.
• Gilda’s Club Worldwide is the national organization which works with communities to start and maintain local Gilda’s Clubs, which provide social and emotional support to cancer patients, their families, and friends. Lectures, workshops, support and networking groups, special events, and children’s programs are offered. Services are available in Spanish. Address: Suite 1402, 322 Eighth Avenue, New York, NY 10001 Phone: 1-888-445-3248 (1-888-GILDA-4-U). E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: www.gildasclub.org
This program is designed to help support family and friends as they go through the bereavement process. The group meets every Tuesday from 6:00-8:00pm at the Van Elslander Cancer Center. Please call 313-647-3000 to register.
Meets the 1st Monday of every month from 6:00-8:00pm at the Van Elslander Cancer Center. Call 313-647-3000 to register.
Breast Feeding Preparation
Learn the skills of breastfeeding and pumping to help the mom and new baby have a successful experience. Support persons are welcome and encouraged to attend. Please bring a doll or stuffed animal to practice positioning.
- Location: St. John Macomb Hospital: Warren
- Additional Info: Tour included
- Location: St. John Medical Center - Romeo Plank
- Location: St. John Hospital & Medical Center: Detroit
- Additional Info: Please bring a receiving blanket to class.
One-session class taught by a certified lactation consultant, you will find the answers to most common questions about breastfeeding; including: how your body makes milk, getting the baby latched on, and going back to work.
- Sponsored By: St. John River District Hospital: East China
- Location: St. John Hospital & Medical Center: Detroit (Meeting Rooms 1 & 2)
- Additional Info: Call 810-326-2012 for information, dates, times and to register.
Breastfeeding Assistance Program
Appointments available with lactation consultants to help nursing mothers with concerns and questions about breast-feeding their newborn after they leave the hospital. Breast pump rentals, supplies, prenatal consults and support are also available. Bra-fitting services and maternity/nursing bras are available. Free telephone consultations provided. For more information and registration, call (248) 849-2799.
- Location: Providence Hospital: Southfield